Pinewood Steading is a Silver Award Member of the Green Tourism scheme. This recognises our sustainable business practices and our efforts to be efficient in many areas including energy, water and waste management.
Jimmy and I strongly believe in doing our bit to improve the environment and reducing our contribution to global warming. We have strived where possible to use practices that support these principles. As a family and a business, we are also committed to protecting our own wonderful surroundings and environment. Indeed, we selected the site for its natural beauty, a great location for our business, and the site’s potential for environmental improvement.
We believe that sustainable development is one of the most important issues facing our planet, so we will strive as a business to further continue our green living credentials on our journey towards the Gold Award. We have already put lots of measures in place to reduce environmental impact but have a suite of plans for future changes to further improve and to carefully manage the local environment for which we have become stewards.
By being a member of Green Tourism, we also hope to promote Green Tourism and green living by encouraging and educating our guests to make ethical, responsible and sustainable decisions. When you visit Pinewood Steading, you know you are a part of our journey – and we are happy to share ideas on how you can join, and give you suggestions for green things to do in our area.
We put a lot of effort into being green – and it’s not just the big changes that are made which have made a difference, but all the little things we do every day too. The little things we can all do everyday.
- Pinewood Steading is a super insulated house
- Energy is used to heat the water which is distributed between the underfloor heating and for providing hot water
- Electrical appliances used are always the highest Energy Star Rating we can get and are regularly PAT tested
- Both bedrooms are individually temperature controlled
- The main bathroom is on a separate underfloor heating circuit for more comfort and control
- A program of replacing all lights throughout the Steading with low energy LED bulbs has started
- All our cleaning products and those left for guests are environmentally friendly
- We provide recycling facilities, and every fortnight, recyclable materials are collected at the kerbside, at the top of the gate. Glass bottles and jars are taken to the local bottle banks located beside the local supermarket
- For guests staying with us for more than a week, we offer a change in bed linen
- We provide environmentally friendly and reusable toiletries from a Scottish company
- All the toilet rolls are from 100% recycled paper
- There is a dog waste bin and we provide biodegradable doggy poo bags
- We implement a ‘bag it and bin it’ policy to advise guests not to flush nasties down the toilet
- Electricity usage is monitored
- Our welcome basket is sourced from local suppliers
- We use solar path lighting to reduce energy usage
- Whenever possible, bed linen and towels are line dried
- Pinewood Steading was designed to not have long dark corridors that would need a lot of lighting, but rather be fed natural light from the sitting room windows and large cathedral windows at either end of the building
- We provide our guests with tips on wonderful local walks, places to visit and eat
- We only ever use local suppliers, contractors and materials where we can
- Earlier in 2018, we started to build our veg beds, and have planted fruit bushes and fruit trees as a small gesture to reduce the miles from ‘farm to fork’. We now provide homegrown produce in our Welcome Hampers
- We also have composting facilities available
- We have used our own trees to provide wood for the wood burner and will start to replant new trees every year
- We provide resuable shopping bags in case our guests leave theirs behind (saves them having to use plastic ones)
- We have a Nature Diary so our guests can write up their experiences of wildlife spotting during their stay